THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, January 31, 2011

Some yarn winding tips.... aka trial and error humor

Some things I learned about yarn and recycling yarn both from my own projects and sweaters and such.

Fuzzy, boucle, mohair or even slightly felted (sweaters someone has tossed in the dryer thus disregarding the instructions) yarns are next to impossible to unravel.

Lace weight sweaters will wear you out in a very short time unless you have a winder.

Never try to unravel a sweater with stripes unless you are going for small bits of color or a magic ball. The fabric may be all one piece but the yarn isn't when you unravel it.

Knitting with lace weight yarn (or crocheting for that matter) is a pain in the ..... not to mention the hands.

When trying to unravel or wind yarn, confine the cat (or in my case cats) to one room. A DIFFERENT room.

Lock the Husband out of the house.

When he gripes about the yarn laying around, remind him of his collection of hats, t-shirts, watches, potato chip and snack bags, etc. laying around.

Now get yourself a yarn winder, a good CD or TV show, some nice yarn to be wound, and wind away!


Marla
Meow Creations Etsy Shop- Supplies and Crochet
Marla's Nursery
Gifts of Love

2 comments:

Mimi said...

LOL good advice. WP and I are having an in house anniversary. He dropped a huge stick of stove wood on his toe Fri...its awful. So we are watching movies, eating, just a nice lazy time. I found more scraps so I am making another rug.

Susie M said...

HAHA! Yes, you MUST confine the cats. I have two "assistants" when I wind yarn so I know exactly what you are saying. Can't agree with lock hubby out of the house in my case, he is great at helping me wind yarn. (Got him trained right I guess).
Love your posts!