THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, October 02, 2006

Bears, t-shirts and more

I finally got all my bears done Saturday night... took me much longer than I thought since my sewing machine hadn't been touched since I moved a year and a half ago. In between that and wrestling with Scott to keep his sugar checked I got in bed much later than I wanted. Seems like that's always the way. I love him but he procrastinates so much on everything. He's in there taking a nap now before he has to go to work. He did go out to see about some other jobs today.

The bears I am doing is a church project and they go to the local hospitals, a few Dr's offices, ambulance service, same day surgery centers, redicare (walk-in care center) and the like. I am a seamstress... there are about 15 teams of painters (to paint faces and a red heart), seamstresses, and stuffers. Then there are always extra requests. Sometimes some extras go to the nursing homes as well to keep the older folks company. There's a description of some of the projects of our church and Sisters in Christ Sunday School class on my Gifts of Love page.

I've been working on some baby t-shirts. My pattern is really simple and much like my diaper shirt pattern. I haven't had time to post it on my website last few days like I've been promising but here it is... no picture at the moment.

Use a G hook and regular baby weight or baby sport yarn. In winter, use worsted weight and long sleeve version.

Special Stitches Used: Shell= (dc, ch1, dc) in indicated stitch.

PREEMIE: Chain 39
NEWBORN: Chain 44

Being careful not to twist chain, join with a slip stitch.


Row 1: Chain 2. (Counts as first stitch) DC in the next 4 (5)st. Shell in next st, dc in next 7(8) st, shell in next st, dc in next 11(12) st, shell in next st, dc in next 7(8) st, shell in next st, dc in last 5(6) st. Join with a slip stitch to beginning chain 2.


Rows 2-5: Ch 2. Dc to ch-1 sp, shell in ch-1 sp, Dc across to next ch-1 sp, shell in ch-1 sp, dc across to next ch-1 sp, shell in ch-1 sp, dc across to next ch-1 sp shell in ch-1 sp, dc in remaining sp. Join with a slip stitch to beginning chain.


Row 6: Ch 2. Dc to first ch-1 sp, fold garment in HALF horizontally and connect first and second ch-1 spaces with a dc. Dc around one side to next ch-1 sp, connect 3rd and 4th ch-1 spaces with a dc. Dc around to end. Join with a slip stitch to beginning chain.

Rows 7-11: Ch 2, turn. DC in each DC around. Join with a slip stitch to beginning chain.

FOR NEWBORN SIZE ONLY:
Row 12-13:Ch 2, turn. DC in each DC around. Join with a slip stitch to beginning chain.

If desired you may add long sleeves for winter:

Sleeves:
Join yarn in any DC of armhole.
Chain 2, Dc in each Dc around. Join with a slip stitch to first ch 2.
Repeat until sleeves are 7" long from shoulder. (They may be turned up if too long). This usually takes me about 7 rounds from joining.


Be sure to send some of these to your local hospital or charity to keep a baby warm this winter!!



Optional: Work one round of Sc or Dc around entire edge for trim and around each armhole. Coordinating colors for trim look great!

THIS PATTERN COPYRIGHT 2006 MARLA CANEER POTTER AND IS NOT TO BE SOLD, NOR IS THE GARMENT MADE FROM IT TO BE SOLD. THE PATTERN IS FREE TO ANYONE WHO WANTS TO USE IT FOR PERSONAL USE OR CHARITY USE. IF YOU'D LIKE TO LINK THIS PATTERN OR THE NURSERY TO YOUR SITES, PLEASE FEEL WELCOME TO DO SO. YOU MAY COPY OR PASS IT ALONG AS MANY TIMES AS YOU LIKE FOR PERSONAL/CHARITY USE. IF YOU MAKE ONE FOR PERSONAL USE OR AS A GIFT, PLEASE MAKE AN EXTRA ONE AND DONATE TO NEWBORNS IN NEED.


Marla
The Nursery

0 comments: