THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Hats and mittens

Wow what a busy week! If it hasn't been one thing it's been another. Running around all weekend trying to get stuff done, cleaned Mom's House on Monday, Halloween yesterday. Also checked at Comfort Zone yesterday and sold a desk so had to rearrange part of what was on that desk. That's another $22.50 on my check this month I can definitely use.

Now, in between my many interruptions trying to get this post written, I am doing some preschool hats and mittens to donate. Where I am not sure yet. I am also thinking of doing some teddy bears or something similar for the girls in our New Pathways home. It's a foster care type home, mostly for teens. There's a home for the girls and a home for the boys in McCracken County. Even though it's supposed to be teenagers and up they have one little girl there now who is just 10. They say the teenage girls have all taken to her like a little sister, playing dolls with her and such. Still inspite of ages, all the girls love teddy bears and stuffed animals. Our Sunday School class and some other groups at church fix welcome baskets for the girls when they come in. Many times, especially if they are pulled from a drug or meth lab, they come in with only the clothes on their back and are not allowed to take anything. If they come from a drug house or meth lab, their belongings are considered "contaminated" and must stay in the house. Others come from abusive situations and don't have much or allowed to take much with them to start with. We provide a basket they are handed when they come in that has a towel and washcloth, shampoo, pajamas, a robe, slippers and a few other small comforts. The girls are very appreciative.

I don't know where the hats etc. are going yet... maybe to NIN's stocking program if I have the cash to send a few, maybe to one of our local preschool programs. Many kids don't have the necessities and I'm sure could use them. I sure love donating the things but the trouble is many causes I support, I have to mail items in and that costs money I don't have right now. I'm using Bev's Hat and mitts for preschoolers pattern (sorry don't have the address handy at the moment- http://www.bevscountrycottage.com) and will see if I like the pattern for mittens. They look cute but I usually like one piece patterns and hate sewing up seams or joining pieces like the mitts call for. I'm using a light purple for the first set for a little girl.

OK time to get off here babbling and get some stuff done. Cleaning needs to be done on my own house too but somehow I can't seem to get it done. Gotta see if I can't pay that kitchen and living room floor some attention!!

2 comments:

Mimi said...

Marla you are ny hero :) Thanks ((Hugs)) for the info I have got to take this info out for a test drive. I would have stopped by sooner and told you a big Thank you . I had a tarp down in the room we are trying to redo and as I was getting up my arm slipped on that slick blue plastic tarp and down I went and messed up my shoulder and elbow. I have been on heat/cold for awhile now. Its better but still hurts to type. and I have things to share pic wise go fig. This is no small thing to me now I can link. It was a gift. :)

Mimi said...

Marla quick go over to my side of the hill..... I did a link I am soooo proud. I messed up on the one for Bundles of love I forgot to highlight (thats where I was goofing up before). Aren't you proud you taught Mimi a new trick. Now I can say just a min Weepaw I'm linking :)