THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, December 25, 2011

A Real Christmas

This being the first Christmas without my mom with us, I wasn't sure how everything was going to pull together but we managed it just fine and maybe even a little more meaningful.

The dressing recipe I used similar to Mom's (we never got her real recipe or the whole idea of how she made it) came out great. Next time about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp more sage and about 15 min more cooking time but it was still good. It was my first attempt at making dressing. I also did the yams, vegetables etc. that Mom usually did. It wasn't much work, just time consuming.

Most of the family has either passed away or doesn't want much to do with us for one reason or other so it was just the four of us. Me, Scott, Daddy and my 92 year old grandmother. Somehow it was even better smaller. Not that I don't like family but it was nice just to be quiet and have not as much chaos.

We didn't give a lot of big expensive gifts this year. We are blessed enough everyone has pretty much all they need without a lot of junk they don't really. As usual mostly cash from my dad and grandmother which will help go to pay some bills hopefuly with some left over to put in the savings acct. That's most of what we needed at my house. Just keeping the bills taxes etc. paid. We already have more junk than we can say Grace over at my house. As my dad was telling me to pick out a few things at Christmas time for me and Scott to open, I had a hard time finding things. I finally picked out a few smaller things we could really use that we just didnt have the cash every day to replace etc.

I haven't had the $$ this year to do my usual charity work or send my creations places I know they are needed and it's really bugged me. Even though we are often short on $$ in the bank account, I have all the food, gas (usually) and necessities I need. Many people I run across, even hard working folks, don't. It was paining me to try to find something I could afford to do for someone that really needed it this year, and it was down to Christmas Eve.

We just wanted a simple meal, we were going out as usual just to find a sandwich etc. Finally one of the only places left open was Logan's Roadhouse we usually don't go to because it is expensive. My dad said "What the heck it's Christmas, order what you want". We know the waitress really well from there and a couple other places she's worked and taken really good care of us. It was 7pm when we finished our steaks and my dad left her an extra tip for Christmas in addition to the big meal. He left her $20. She asked about our plans and we said we were running to Wal-mart for a couple last minute things, they closed at 8.  "You mean Walmart is closing at 8?? I thought they were always Open!!" Yes but not on Christmas eve or Day.

She went on "I got called in today and came in because I needed the cash but there is no food in my house except a few cans of Ravioli and Tuna Fish! I was going to use my tips to pick up some food for the kids tomorrow. "

My husband (who had met us in his own vehicle) quickly volunteered to go across the street to Wal-mart and pick up what she needed. She handed him the $20 my dad gave her and a small grocery list:

Milk
Pretzels
Salad Dressing
Canned Spaghetti sauce

My husband asked if she needed anything else. She said "No that's all I have the money for right now until my check comes in- my tips are it".

After we got out of there I called him and told him to go on and get her some kind of ham and a few vegetables she could fix for the kids for dinner tomorrow, whatever it cost we could afford $20-$30 out of our own pocket- we had plenty of food to eat.

After getting the groceries back to her, with her all excited, I reminded my husband every time he fussed about little or almost no money in the checking account think about the things he does have that he needs: the house, 2 vehicles, insurances, plenty of food on the table, his medicine..... and many more things I can't think of right now.

I could go on but my point is this: Aside from missing my mom being here this Christmas, this year has turned out better all because seeing so many people around me without even food for Christmas dinner or the necessities has made me grateful that I have what I need. Gifts are nice, but it's made me realize even if things aren't the way I'd have them, there's always someone who isn't as blessed as I am. I thank the Lord for reminding me of this and giving me the opportunity to help someone else out. I just wish he'd allow me to do a little more of it. It feels good. Makes Christmas seem more real.

Merry Christmas Everyone.

Marla
Meow Creations Etsy Shop- Supplies and Crochet
Marla's Nursery
Gifts of Love

1 comments:

Mimi said...

You made me tear up. Well said my dear. We had a very lovely Christmas as well. And now its clean up and put away. WP. and I are doing it ever so slowly. Grandkids will be in and out till vacation is over. Hugs and I pray you have a wonderful happy New Year. Mimi